Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a persian cat and he keeps sneezing to bring up mucus

I have a persian cat and he keeps sneezing to bring up mucus and I would like to ask if it is bad for him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now in regards ***** ***** question, it isn't bad that Pluto is sneezing and bringing up mucus, but we do want to keep treating him at this stage. So, its good that he is on antibiotics but we can also start some home treatments to help loosen the snot congesting him and help him get it all our so he can breathe easier.To start, since he is sneezing, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, though since cats don’t like things held up to their faces, consider making him a steam tent (with him in his carrier, the humidifier next to it and a thin bed sheet over both).As well, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.Furthermore, we will want to make sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you see any decline in Pluto's normal appetite, do consider tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.Overall, it isn't bad for him to sneeze out mucus as long as there isn't more building up in his nose. Therefore, we'd want him to continue the antibiotics at this point. And to help them get him clear of this infection, you can consider starting the above supportive care. Of course, if you use this and he doesn't settle over the weekend or has a lot of discharge, you may wish to ring his vet to have them dispense a cat safe decongestant (ie Bisolvin) to help him clear all this mucus and breathe easier. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He eats and drinks fine so should I just follow this x
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is only 7 months and can I ask what age is best to get him neutered when I rescued him he was infested with fleas he also suffers wi ear mites could this all be related thanks