Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My feline, a black long haired domestic male of 20 months

Hi my feline, a black long haired domestic male of 20 months has what appears to be hard scabby lumps under the skin of his left arm which has spread right onto his stomach and back area. He also has an enlarged lymph node under the left armpit.
I cant describe it better than saying that his skin is hardening into lumpy lesions, obviously it is under his fur and is hard to see though I have noticed a few white flakes, though not many and he tends to gnaw at it on the odd occasion.
He is eating okay and doesn't appear to be in any pain, i/e walking/playing/catching mice.
His temperature is normal and his eyes are clear.
He has seen the vet who gave him a two week course of antibiotics, this was last Tuesday and doesn't seem to have helped.
Do you know what it could possibly be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. You appear to be describing eosinophilic granulomas/plaques particularly if any of the lumps have ulcerated. Eosinophilic skin disease represents an inflammatory skin disease usually associated with an underlying hypersensitivity. This skin disorder doesn't respond to antibiotics; instead, glucocorticosteroids such as prednisolone are prescribed.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.