Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has lost her appetite and the vet has prescribed

My cat has lost her appetite and the vet has prescribed mirtazapine, half a 15 mg pill every 3 days. I have looked it up online and am extremely worried at the dose and side effects other cats have had. Is this safe? The cat has had diarrhoea and sickness and lost appetite. She is also on cerenia quarter of 24 mg pill once daily. She is no longer sick but won't resume eating.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hell. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Cats tend to tolerate this medication very well. I would probably give less of a dosage, though. I usually give 1/4 of the tablet every 3 days. In the most recent veterinary drug handbook that has come out, though, it now says that mirtazapine can be given daily to every other day in some cats if the every 3 days isn't working. That information is brand new, so I haven't tried it yet but will still be starting on 3.75 mg every 72 hours for now. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I am not set up to do phone calls. I can opt out to see if there is another expert online that can fulfill that request. That wait can be very long, though. We can still continue the conversation online if you would like, though.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure why the negative rating was given. If you want another expert to fulfill the phone call request, they will be less likely to do so with a negative rating already on there.