Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can i get some advice about my cat?

Customer Question

Can i get some advice about my cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Sure, I will be glad to talk things over with you.

What seems to be the problem?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
4 year old female tabby has bladder infection. Took her to vet on saturday and was given convenia and metacam. She has eaten v little and v subdued. Took her to emergency vet on Sunday (yesterday). since then she hasn't peed or eaten or drunk. vet though she wasn't ill enough to be hospitalised so i brought her home. Should i be v worried that she hasn't used her tray or eaten or drunk?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she's just sleeping in dark place

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While bladder infections { cystitis } in female cats can be very uncomfortable and disturbing for the cat concerned the good news is that they are rarely too serious and most cats will pull round given a bit of time.

2. Given the time scale I would not be too worried about what is going on as the Convenia and Metacam may not have fully kicked in yet. You may want to give it a further 24 hours to see if things are going to improve with those drugs as is possible, but if this is not the case then you should then go back to your vet as further tests such as blood profiles or bladder X-rays may be needed just in case there is another underlying cause for the symptoms you are seeing.

3. In the meantime it would be good to give her fluids orally, say 4 ml on the hour using a small syringe or similar, you can pick one up at the vet or at your local chemist if you explain what it will be used for.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if you would like to go down this route. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks v much. I haven't seen her pee all yesterday (sunday) although she hasn't eaten or drunk v much. I'm worried that she has a blockage, although i think that is mostly a problem for male cats?

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

Yes you are right blockages are a major problem for male cats but thankfully do not affect female cats so much because of differences in anatomy concerning the urethra. But there are other diagnosis { Very much rarer that cystitis } that can affect female cats such as stones in the bladder or even cancer of the neck of the bladder but these would be picked up on X-ray

Regards,

Dr Scott

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Hello again,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much indeed. It was first rate advice, and made me feel much better. About an hour later Colette perked up and she has now eaten and peed!
Best wishes
Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Great news, very encouraging ...

Please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Scott