Ask a Cat Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long since she became lethargic and lessen her water intake? Has she had blood work since these symptoms started?
1- Is she currently receiving any fluids at home?
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when a patient has chronic renal failure as you know they lose the ability to eliminate the waste products from the body via the kidneys. When the patient stops drinking and the kidney function decreases these waste product accumulate in the body making the patient very ill. In this case, it sounds like her kidneys are shutting down and she is accumulating a lot of waste products. So, at this point I would strongly recommend having her checked today by family veterinarian for blood work and IV fluids. If she is not responsive to treatment then the difficult decision should be made of considering putting her to sleep to keep her comfortable and not go through the symptoms of being in complete renal failure. I know this is a very difficult decision to make. But, it is a very noble decision when you consider that she will have a peaceful and pain free passing. I hope this will help you or guide you in making a decision. Please let me know if you have additional questions. I will be glad to discuss them with you.
I think a decision should be made based on her blood work and response to IV fluids. Or, you can even discuss with your vet to teach you how to give fluids at home under the skin (SQ fluids); this is done very easily and not very invasive. By giving her these fluids will help her kidneys flush the waste products.
Please reply if you have additional questions.
You are right, the SQ fluids is not curative but at best may buy her some time. I don't think it is selfish in your part but maybe you just need a little more time. If you decided not to proceed with any more diagnostics or treatment it will also be okay to put her to sleep. I don't think any veterinarian would disagree with that decision.
Katie, I am glad I was here to help. I will have you in my thoughts and prayer tonight so that God can help you through this difficult decision with strength and peace.
Hi Katie, sorry for the delay in response I was offline. If you have additional questions pertaining to this case you can follow this thread and I will be glad to answer it at no additional charge. If you have a new question or problem then a new thread should be open.
As far as the tumor weeping, it is possible the cells are necrotic (dying off) and sometimes will become infected. If she is able to scratch the area she may need to have an ecollar (cone) placed to prevent self inflicted trauma. In addition, your vet will be able to give you chlorehexidine to flush and apply a topical antibiotic; this is not curative just palliative.
Oh my, I am sorry. I know how difficult it is to make this decision; very noble in your part, God bless you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I am sorry for your loss. Please let me know if there is anything that I can help, thank you for the update.