Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat has an open wound on one of s pawpads it has been

My cat has an open wound on one of his pawpads it has been bleeding quite badly but i have managed to clean it up with a warm cloth. It has since stopped bleeding but i can see in between his two middle pawpads where the cut is and it looks awful like the skin on the pad has totally ripped off - should i take him to the vets or will he recover on his own?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he strictly indoors?

2- Is he licking the wound?

3- How long since the injury occurred?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been indoors since I got him back in 2014 but has started going outside every now and again since May.He was licking it when it was bleeding but not so much anymore- he does make a very high pitched squeal if i try to touch it or apply any pressure though.Im unsure of when it happened as I have been at work, pur babysitter said she noticed it around 5pmThanks for getting back to me i worry about every little thing and just want to be sure that he will be ok :-)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Is he bearing weight on the limb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as far as i can see he is walking/running around as normal
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, in response to your question I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family. He will need to be started on prescription pain killers and antibiotics. Do not give over the counter pain killers, they are all toxic to cats. In the meantime this is what you can do to treat the wound:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day. If you do not find this antimicrobial soap flush with plain water.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Then, apply a light bandage over the wound. Place a gauze with antibiotic as the first layer then secure it with gauze tape (do not put it too tight). Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is really helpful i can get him to the vets tomorrow to have him checked out and i have a prescription strength anti inflammatory that he was given a few weeks ago that can ease the pain surely? Or is that a bad idea?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

What is the name of the medication?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iv attached a photo
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Perfect, that is a pain killer and anti inflammatory. Yes, you can start it as prescribed by family veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh fabulous! Thank you so much I really appreciate the help!:)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.