Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I recently emailed you about my cat Daisy. She has had her

Hello I recently emailed you about my cat Daisy. She has had her Ultrasound and they found that her left kidney is smaller than the right and her kidney levels are also raised since her last blood test which was about 7 weeks ago. The vet said not massively but they are raised. They didn't find any bladder tumours or anything sinister and her urine cultures were negative. However sadly her kidneys are starting to show signs of failure which as the vet said is classic in a cat of Daisy's age. The vet is treating her for Pyelonephritis and has prescribed 7 weeks of Noroclav tablets 1 1/2 twice a day. I have real problems with giving tablets as Daisy bites and kicks and has cottoned on to me putting them in her food. I have since though discovered Feline Greenies Pill Pockets which at the moment are working like a dream. I just squeeze them into the pockets and she eats them. The renal nurse is not too keen as Daisy is now on the Royal Canin specialist diet. I asked if just two pill pockets twice a day would do any harm and even gave her the ingredients to look at but she wasn't sure. Could be able to advise me please. Again many thanks Emma Guinan.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Emma.

I am very glad to hear that nothing sinister has been found on the scan and that they are covering bases with the antibiotics. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, I'd not be worried about using these pill pockets. It is true that the first ingredient is chicken meal (so there is protein in it) but the benefit they are doing outweighs its possibly tiny impact on the diet. Especially since while using the diets is ideal, its effects are only mild for kidney cases (since they reduce workload but don't improve kidney function). So, if she were my patient, I'd have not qualms about you using this to help treat her at the moment. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that I think the nurse is cautious and I understand why but I would rather Daisy have a tasty treat as she finds the renal food a bit bland. I do try and alternate with the renal dry and the renal pate so she has variety. The nurse did say as her kidney condition becomes worse she will eventually go off her food. So I want her to enjoy food while she can. I have had limited information really on how to care for a cat with kidney failure could you suggest any books or useful sites I could look at. Again many thanks for advice.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I agree that the nurse likely is. Though we do always have to remember that while the diets are great, we need our cats to keep eating them (since eating is critical for life). So, if she ever were to go off food, you are allowed to use a commercial senior diet she likes that has a similar protein/phosphorus/sodium level (some of the Felix's for senior cats actually are similar in levels and are something I used for own kidney cat -alongside Semintra- when managing her over the years). As well, if we do have cats that go off food, we often will use those other drug treatments I noted so that we can feed them what they will willingly eat while supporting their kidneys. So, there are options to allow us to compromise with our cats and still help their kidneys.

Otherwise, I do want to point you to 2 very good web resources:

International Cat Care's page on CRF --> http://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/chronic-kidney-disease-cats-%e2%80%93-management

Tanya's Feline CKD page (written by an owner who has been very thorough with treatment/management options) --> http://felinecrf.org/

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is fabulous thank you so much. I was looking at Tanya's support pages and was tempted to join. I will now thanks to your endorsement. I liked a lot of her practical and straight forward advice and information. Again many thanks. Daisy is here lying next to me purring away. May she have many more days like this and thanks again to you dedicated professionals for enabling this.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am so glad I could help. :)

All the best & a lovely day to you both,

Dr. B.