Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has gone very thin over a few months, took to the vet

Customer Question

My cat has gone very thin over a few months, took to the vet for blood tests no joy am taking him back tomorrow for a liver scan and another t4 blood test as the last one was negative,he eats like a horse and is really showing signs of being unhappy and goes around crying a lot,i feel he has a thyroid problem and if the results are neg again is there another course of tests for thyroid i can ask to be done,thanking you margaret
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does he have any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has soft stools but not diarrhea sick not very often
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the information. With the blood tests, I assumed that they checked liver and kidney enzymes, blood cell counts, protein levels, calcium levels and blood glucose; or they will do that tomorrow? If all that is negative, I would definitely be looking at the thyroid. Normally, with a hyperthyroid cat, there will be an elevated T4, but if they are sick for some other reasons, it is possible that the T4 could be normal. Not common but is possible. I would consider asking your vet to run a full thyroid panel. That would include a T4, a Free T4 and a TSH. That may give a better indication of the thyroid function. A thyroid antibody test can't hurt, but it is as important to do as in dogs. If the thyroid values all seem normal, though, I would really be thinking about inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal lymphoma. Either of these diseases can produce symptoms very similar to hyperthyroidism in cats. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont know what they tested for,you could tell me from information on the bill, FelV/FiV test with profile
Extended Basic Profile IDEXX, please advise what tests i should be asking to be done,i cant get them to understand the need for speed,hes 8 years old i dont think they like hairless cats or any cats come to that, thankyou.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

It looks like they checked basic blood work (complete blood cell count, serum chemistries and electrolytes) with the Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDs testing. I would request a Thyroid profile and even consider a GI panel that tests Feline Pancreatic Lipase, TLI and serum cobalamin/folate. I did forget to mention that some of these cats may have a chronic, low grade pancreatitis that eventually lead to pancreatic insufficiency and inability to digest and absorb food normally. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tanks you have been a big help i now know what i need to ask for and am better informed to ask for the recomend tests,take care best regareds margaret.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

I am not set up to make phone calls, but I can answer any questions you may have online still.