Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has extremely strong smelling urine and her back end

My cat has extremely strong smelling urine and her back end looks to be infected but she is eating normally
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** history about Button, I have to say I am quite concerned about her even if she is still eating normally. If her back end is infected, then this strong smelling urine is highly likely to be due to bacterial contamination of the urinary tract causing a cystitis. This is very common in female cats with diarrhea or wounds/infections around their vaginas since bacteria can tract up the vagina and into the bladder. And again even if she is eating, we need to be proactive. Especially as bladder infections that are left to fester can spread and damage the kidneys. Therefore, if you are seeing these signs plus we have a skin based infection; we'd really want her seen today. Her vet can test a urine sample to confirm our suspicions and also rule out other ongoing issues (ie diabetes, urine crystals, etc). They can most importantly start antibiotics for both infections +/- kitty safe anti-inflammatories to soothe any discomfort, reduce swelling and help get her comfortable and settled as quickly possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )