Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has a red rimmed eye that is discharging. She is

My cat has a red rimmed eye that is discharging. She is barely opening her eyes, constantly washing it and shaking her head.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

What color is the discharge?

Any sneezing?

Is the eye ball itself red, swollen, or hazy/cloudy?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Noticed this morning. Couldn't see the colour of discharge, just a glistening. She is not sneezing and her eyeball seems OK
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will I get an answer?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I am actually typing my reply and will post in full shortly.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Thought I had done something wrong.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for being patient,

You did just fine but as you can see I did have a wee bit to type for you.

Now based on the signs you are reporting, we do need to tread with care since sudden tearing in a single eye can be triggered by a number of issues. Most often we can see this related to trauma (ie scratches, irritants, etc), but we can also see this with early stage bacterial infection, viral agents, and foreign bodies. Less commonly we can see this with allergies + tear duct troubles.

With these all in mind and since eyes are very delicate, we do need to keep a close eye on this. We don't want to let her keep rubbing the area, since that can actually lead to infection being introduced as well as secondary ulcers from the rubbing. Therefore, if she is doing this excessively, we may need to use a e-collar from the pet store for the short term. Otherwise, we'd want to consider flushing the eye with an eye safe saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution). This can be used 2-3 times daily and will just flush out any irritants or bacteria present.

If we do that over today and she settles, we're happy. Though if this lingers or the discharge increases and appears snotty, then we'd want to plan to have this checked once her vet is open. They can examine the eye to rule out specific bacterial and viral causes for these signs. Most importantly, they will also be able to stain the eye with fluorescein (a yellow UV reactive stain that binds to the under layers of the cornea). This will allow them to appreciate if there has been damage and depending on these findings antibiotic ointment or drop to encourage corneal healing can be started.

Overall, we do always need to tread with care when our cats have eye issues. Still, since this sounds mild and there are no signs of infection yet, you can use the above and monitor her at this stage.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.