Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Our 3 year old cat has had a raised bump on s head just

Customer Question

Our 3 year old cat has had a raised bump on his head just above his left eye. Recently it has become more prominent and he has scratched it so that it bled and looks red and devoid of fur. What could it be and how can it be treated?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** and I have over 30 years practice experience with small animal medicine and surgery.

I understand that Minty has a bump above his left eye that irritates him and he is scratching at it. Probably the scratching has caused it to bleed and be devoid of fur, but the primary cause of the bump could have different causes. This might be an insect bite, like a tick, could be a small abscess from a cat fight, could be a sebaceous or oil gland cyst, or could be a benign or cancerous growth.

How long has the bump been there totally, and when did it enlarge and start causing him to scratch at it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed it when he first came to live with us last autumn but it was then covered in fur. During the last 2 weeks it has become more noticeable. We have been away overnight and our neighbour who looks after him and our 2 other cats told me it looked worse and she thought he had been scratching it and had made it bleed. I always ring her as soon as we get back and she told me this but Minty didn't return home until about an hour after this conversation so I couldn't check it myself until then.

Thanks for your response. Since this is now bothering Minty, and his scratching at it could cause infection, I do recommend that you have your vet there look at it and probably remove it so it can be checked microscopically. Until then you could put an antibiotic ointment on it. I would do this twice daily and right before giving Minty something he loves to eat. . .eating is a great distraction which will allow the ointment to work and help keep it (and Minty) uninfected.

A human antibiotic ointment would be fine.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't bleeding but looked bigger, a red open sore but it didn't seem to be bothering him. He made a big fuss of me when he saw me and purred loudly and came to sit on my knee.

I'm glad to hear that it's not bothering and that he feels well enough to make a big fuss over you. He sounds like he has a great personality! I think then you should clean it (hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab or piece of tissue would work well), apply the antibiotic ointment and then feed him something yummy. If he's not scratching at it, then it should heal up. Ultimately it should look like normal skin with fur. If this doesn't happen (ie. He is scratching it or it continues to grow in size) then your vet there should definitely look at it. You should know in a couple of days time if he just needs you to continue treating him or if he is scratching at it, or if it is continuing to enlarge.

If you can, a photo attached here would be great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to bed now so I will look at your reply in the morning.

Yes, I am in California so quite the time difference.

Sleep well! I'll check first thing in the AM also (I am 8 hours behind you).

Dr. Barbara