Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My darling neutered female cat is 17 years old and not very

Customer Question

My darling neutered female cat is 17 years old and not very active. She has always eaten sparingly and has become a bit of a picky cat, preferring to lick up the gravy from her wet cat food and leave the solids. She always has available dried biscuit food for both teeth cleaning, urinary biscuits and kidney biscuits (all to try and combat any possible future kidney or urinary deterioration). In February various blood tests were carried out together with urinary & thyroid tests to try and discover why she is so very thin on her hips. She drinks absolutely loads of water from her non-stop supply but approximately once or twice a week she vomits her food back. All her tests have come back clear and "within acceptable parameters" - there is absolutely no hint of kidney problems apparently. She urinates in equal terms to the amount she drinks. She is regularly wormed and de-flea'd. Thinking I may have fed her too much protein (i.e. fresh fish mixed with her 'Mature" wet cat food) I took to feeding her much smaller portions up to 4 times a day but it didn't stop the vomiting. Today she has remained on her warmed electric pad all day - her fur looks 'crumpled', she's not eaten and doesn't appear happy. I have an appointment with her Vet tomorrow but have you got any ideas what could be wrong please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Jemima.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Do you know the actual values of her thyroid tests? We've learned these can be difficult to interpret.
  • How long has she been showing excessive thirst and urination?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.