Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 9 week old kitten is limping I felt the whole of s leg

My 9 week old kitten is limping I felt the whole of his leg and compared it to his other leg and it feels the same and he did cry but when I bent his wrist he cried he will put some weigh on his leg and his eating but his just laying down and sleeping it looks a little swollen at his wrist too so I'm not sure if our other kitten has bitten him or something
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been limping?

Is he bearing any weight on the leg?

Any chance of a fall, slip, or injury?

Any signs of a puncture wound at the wrist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We noticed it when we woke up this morning that he was limping he can put a little bit of weight on his leg and maybe he does get rough with our other kitten when playing and he likes claiming on the sofas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No signs of a puncture wound
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I have received your replies + will compose my answer to post shortly.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, lameness in the cat can be caused by a range of issues. This is because we can have damage to the bone, nerves, muscles, tendons, and soft tissues. Now while it is not nice to hear that he is so sore, I am glad to hear that he can feel the leg and use it a bit as this would rule out spine/nerve damage right off the bat. As well, I am glad to hear that there are no punctures to be seen, since cat bite abscesses can occur when skin is broken during play and would have otherwise fit here. So, its good to rule that out as well.

With those aside and since you noted that the leg feels the same (hopefully having the same stability and lack of any boney crunching when you feel it), we'd also hope to put hairline fractures from a fall lower on our list. And if we can do so, it is muscle strain/sprain that would be our main concern here.

With that in mind, we can start supportive care for Apollo. Our main focus will be to initiate strict rest (indoors, no jumping at all, no stairs, etc) to limit further damage and aggravation of the injury. This may mean isolating him and restricting him to a larger carrier or room that is free of perches and items to jump on. As well, if Apollo is amenable to it, warm compresses can be used to reduce the swelling at the wrist. And if this is just a strain, they do usually settle within 24-48 hours. Of course, if he continues to be lame despite rest and compressing, then we do want to have his vet have a feel of this leg, and to get him onto kitten safe pain relief like Metacam (since human OTC ones are cat toxic) to take away the soreness and get him back to using this leg fully.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's good to hear my gut feeling was a sprain but I wil be keeping a close eye on him what is the best way to do a warm compress on his leg ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We just tend to do 10-15 minutes (or as much as they will allow) a few times daily. Just to note, if you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).

All the best,

Dr. B.