Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My normally boisterous cat is quiet and withdrawn. We saw

My normally boisterous cat is quiet and withdrawn. We saw the vet yesterday who could find nothing but cat seems to be getting worse. No eating or drinking for 12 hours.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the smell of likes have this affect on a cat? She has not come in contact with the lilies as far as I know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have disposed of lilies.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is there any chance at all that Angel could have chewed or eaten any of the lilies?

What tests did her vet do? What treatments have they started?

Is she drinking more or does is urine look watery?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Angel may have possibly nibbled the lilies but I don't think so
The vet did a blood test which is normal
They gave her an injection for a rash from overgrooming on her tummy
She is drinking less
Urine looks and smells normal (though reduced as she is not drinking so much)
No retching, vomiting or gagging - occasional lip licking but not much
Gums pink
She doesn't (ever) like having her belly touched (overgrows) very sensitive in that area
They want to do more tests, but today she has eaten a tiny bit of ham, a few of her dry biscuits and drunk approx 1.5 tablespoons of cream
She has walked around a little bit but is still subdued and sleeping a lot.
Will only go to food if I walk with her!Could she have been traumatised? She is a rescue cat who is very timid with strangers (hides) but still tries to live life to the full!
She eats anything in the garden that moves if she can catch it....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
overgrows was autocorrected - should be overgrooms
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Thank goodness they have checked her bloods and that her urine is normal. Lilies are terribly toxic for cats and even small volumes can lead to serious kidney damage. Though if we have anorexia after her vet has given a possible steroid (the most common treatment for skin irritation as you have reported), then it is quite possible that the steroid is irritating her stomach even if she isn't vomiting. And just to note, if she were stressed, we'd not expect this but instead she'd be withdrawn and hiding.

Now since there is concern of gut irritation with the steroid, it would be best to ring her vet about having them dispense gastroprotectants. Or at the very least we can start her on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). And once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or if she cannot be tempted but isn’t actively vomiting, we can try syringe feeding her. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.

Since dehydration is a risk if she is only drinking that small bit, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). And again since she isn't actively vomiting, we could syringe fluids (where kitties need 48ml per kilogram of their weight over 24 hours)

Overall, I am quite concerned about her lapse in appetite. Either they have missed the cause or we have a reaction to the drugs they gave. So, we'd want to consider the above for her +/- ringing the vet to discuss this deterioration and for them to dispense gastroprotectants, and possible appetite stimulants to break her fast and get her eating/drinking properly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay in responding to your message. Thank you so much for your correspondence about Angel. Thanks to you, she ate a little boiled fish and a little boiled chicken yesterday which gave us hope! Although she reverted again to refusing food today, she did eat a little at lunchtime, however, we went back to the vet this evening. She has now been x-rayed and this gave no reason for concern. As a consequence, she is to continue on the mild food with a supplement of special water (electrolytes?). We have also been given stomach calmers and an appetite booster with the instruction to feed it to her on Sunday if she continues to fast by then. This evening she has eaten a little food but is still very wary. However, thanks to you, I felt reassured and better able to ask the vet the right information. Thank you so much. We're not out of the woods yet, but we can see Angel getting brighter as time passes and she is no longer hiding away. Thanks again, your support was invaluable!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. B. to anyone who is concerned about their cat and who is unable to locate a vet quickly.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, my dear.

I am very glad to hear that she is eating a bit more for you, is brighter and that they have ruled out anything sinister on xray. So, I agree that we aren't out of the woods but her eating a bit now and coming out are steps in the right direction. :)

Keep up the good work and best wishes,

Dr. B.