Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have just taken ownership of a 13 week old exotic short

Customer Question

Hi, I have just taken ownership of a 13 week old exotic short hair kitten. I have had him since sunday. Initially he was reluctant to eat, but after the initial reluctance i would say he has been eating properly for three days. He has a diet of raw mince, fresh chicken and duck (raw) and then dry biscuits at night. I am concerned that as yet he hasnt been for a poo do i need to be concerned?
Kind regards Niki
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, as long as he hasn't any belly discomfort nor straining to pass stool, we'd not be panicked; but would want to take a few steps to get things moving for him. To do so, you can start giving him OTC cat hairball medication a few times daily to lubricate the gut. Alternatively or if that gentle lubricant isn't enough, we'd want to then consider giving 0.5-1 ml of OTC Lactulose or liquid paraffin every 8-12 hours mixed into his food to again just get stool passing. Once we do, treatment can be stopped. Though any discomfort or straining and we'd want a check with as vet as an enema may be needed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )