Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is 15 years old and walks like he is drunk and keeps

My cat is 15 years old and walks like he is drunk and keeps falling over
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Charlie. He's ataxic ("drunken sailor") but there are quite a few possible causes of ataxia including overall generalized weakness such as from profound anemia, both encephalopathy (brain disorder) and myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) as well as vestibular (balance) disorders. The list of differential diagnoses is exhaustive and so Charlie's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of a senior/geriatric panel of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify why Charlie is behaving in that manner. Were there any other worrisome symptoms leading up to his ataxia?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has always been an affectionate cat he is never happier than when he is being cuddled but just lately he just
finds a corner and goes to sleep

Thank you. His reclusiveness indicates his feeling poorly. Once again, it's not a symptom pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder but considered along with his ataxia should prompt his being examined by his vet at your earliest convenience. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.