Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My cat gave birth 7 weeks ago she had 3 kittens they went to

My cat gave birth 7 weeks ago she had 3 kittens they went to new homes yesterday I've noticed her stomach has swollen and her nipples look engorged should I be worried
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm glad that the kittens found good new homes. As far as with Lucy, are you curious as to if she may be pregnant again? Was she out / around possible males that were intact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dont think its possible she is pregnant just since yesterday her stomach was loose while the kittens were here now its has gone hard and swollen and her nipples are swollen
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Ok. There is the chance she could be pregnant again. Females can come into heat in the first couple weeks after giving birth (not the most common but possible). There are lots of cats that if around intact males that will become pregnant again before the current litter is weaned. Here is a good link on this from just one humane society.

http://www.athenshumane.org/spay-neuter/the-importance-of-spaying-and-neutering-cats/

The nipples could be swollen and the mammary glands more enlarged if she's still producing milk and getting that tissue to dry up. Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's not producing milk and she's eating and drinking fine she's crying but that could be because her kittens left yesterday
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that she's eating and drinking fine. I would hope she's also urinating normally and not having any weakness. I would also hope she's breathing normally and able to get around fine too. The vocalizing she is doing could definitely be due to the kittens now being gone. As to her stomach being enlarged, could it be that she's eating more as the kittens are taking more of the food available? When I have enlarged abdomens in cats some thoughts are - eating large meals, pregnancy, fluid in the abdomen, masses, and their getting abdominal fat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She urinating and pass stools fine there's no weakness and she running around jumping up on walls and furniture I will keep an eye on her if I'm still worried I will take her to the vets thankyou for your help
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that she's pretty much normal otherwise! I would feel that is a good plan to follow. I'm hoping for the best for her!