Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a wheelie bin that has cat poo on it (I'm

Good morning. I have a wheelie bin that has cat poo on it (I'm assuming it's cat poo but it could be fox?). It's been on there for approx 6 days and I'm now going to clean it off. Do I need to be concerned about spores if it's dried up on the wheel? I have animal safe disinfectant to use as well. Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you mean like spores that would go airborne and infect you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any others around me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dr. Pete, good morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would just like to clean it off and make sure I'm not going to spread anything around.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

No friend, there is nothing in the feces that will be contagious to you airborne. The main concern would be parasites like Toxoplasma oocyst. But, these need to be ingested. So, I would say wear some gloves and wash your hands once you are done, you will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I've had an infected thumb so I would be wearing latex gloves. Because it's a bin do I need to be concerned with the bin men, as you say toxoplasmosis is a parasite and won't be killed with regular disinfectant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bins are loaded on the bin carts and then lifted up to dump the rubbish! I'm worried it the bin men touch that wheel
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

If you clean off all the feces this will not be an issue. The oocyst are within the feces.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok dr Peter, thank you. So to sum up, there will be nothing that can infect me or get on my clothes spores wise and just clean off all the poo.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you got it.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a good rest of the day.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You too!

You're welcome. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry forgot, can I just put the poo and tissues in a plastic bag and place in the bin?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thank you