Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My pet cat hasn't eaten any food days, she has been drinking

My pet cat hasn't eaten any food for three days, she has been drinking some water. She is also overweight. Is there something wrong?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Is she drinking more than usual?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - I just managed to serve her a bit of (soft spongy) cat food which she licked and took a few bites of, but vomited shortly afterward.
2 - From what I've seen she's drinking water but I'm not sure if it's more than usual.
3 - She has been quite lethargic, although she is very old. When she ate the food she was tucking her head in and turning it to one side. We've had to take her for dental treatment over the last few years, in particular three years ago when she had a fang removed after the other one fell out.
4 - She is overweight, but otherwise healthy.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to add one more point regarding question 4:
4 - She has had some weight loss but I'm not sure if this coincides with her lack of appetite as we have been trying different cat foods (some with natural ingredients only) to see if her weight would go down (she's also tends to be a fussy eater).
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, not eating is a very non specific symptom and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect cats. In cats as a species regardless of the underlying cause when they stop eating they will develop liver problems (hepatic lipidosis). The fact that she vomited after you feed her a small amount of food further supports an underlying medical problem. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian and some blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime wait a few hours until you offer food again. Next time try a bland diet like rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food and give her small amounts with a dropper 4-6 times a day.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice, we will arrange an appointment with the vet as soon as possible.