Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 10 year old cat, Tabby, had a PU surgery 3 wks. ago.

Hi. My 10 year old cat, Tabby, had a PU surgery 3 wks. ago. He's now on Urinary so and Hill's urinary care diet. Two months ago, his vet did a blood work and diagnosed Tabby with early stages of CKD so she put him azodyl and feline renal support tablets. VCA hospital that did the PU surgery said azodyl was safe but not the feline renal support tablets ( raises potassium ?). My question is can I put the azodyl on his food once a day? Will this be produce a bad effect on him long term?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your Tabby has had so many urinary problems. I will do my best to help.

What is the brand of the feline renal support tablets that your vet recommended? On what basis was the diagnosis of early renal disease made? If you could attach lab work that would be very helpful.

To directly answer your question - according to the label directions, cats between 5-10 pounds of body weight should receive one capsule twice daily. A recent study showed that opening the capsules and sprinkling them onto the food did not lead to improvement in the renal values (blood work). The company recommends that the entire capsule be taken whole - not opened or sprinkled. This is likely because the stomach acid would otherwise destroy the bacteria contained within the capsule if the capsule was opened or otherwise broken.

My take on the nutritional supplement products is that they're not likely to hurt but they may help. There is very little evidence to support that Azodyl actually helps, however it's unlikely to cause harm, so I have used it in patients before. I've also used both the Standard Process Renal Support supplement as well as the PetWellBeing Kidney Support Gold.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)