Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 12-year-old female cat's jaw seems to have seized up to

Hello. My 12-year-old female cat's jaw seems to have seized up to the point where she can barely eat. I am liquidising everything. Bloods normal. Xray normal. On painkillers and anti-biotics but over the 2-week period since I noticed this beginning, the jaw has closed more and more and my vet is mystified. They physically cannot get it open. Nobody seems to have heard of this before??
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid money, and been asked to login - and having problems - you are telling me to use a different email address - I don't have another email address! I used you years ago on this email and I cannot log in, even with a new password ***** by you. So PLEASE just email me on***@******.***. Thanks very much - Jane
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the message I'm getting when trying to log on:
"Sorry, this email has already been used for a previous account. Please use a different email address"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was me in the 'previous account' :)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Jane, please contact***@******.*** for help regarding your account. We're not allowed to email to a private email account. If you can see this, please let me know.

While masticatory myositis hasn't been documented in cats, differential diagnoses such as polymyositis have been and so it would be prudent to see how an immunosuppressive dose of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone affects Minx. Other differentials include maxillofacial trauma, temporomandibular joint disease, bone and soft-tissue neoplasia, foreign-body penetration (caudal to last maxillary molar, tonsillar region, pharyngeal wall, sublingual tissues); ocular disease and space-occupying orbital/retrobulbar lesions; and ear disease (e.g., otitis externa, neoplasia in ear canal).

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. Salkin, I do appreciate your response and am happy to pay the fee. It all went a bit wrong because of logging-in problems, but that wasn't your fault. I am making progress with my vet now saying this is an extreme inflammation and Minx is being treated with a very powerful steriod, to get a grip on it, and fingers cross over the next 48 hours.
Thank you again,
Jane

I'm pleased to hear that a steroid is on board and I would very much like to hear from you with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I certainly will update you - thank you so much.
Jane

I appreciate it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update: Steriod was the last chance and this didn't work. She started to suffer so she is now released from her pain :(

My condolences for your loss of Minx. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please don't worry - I will totally understand if this happens. Thank you so much.

Thank you for your understanding.