Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat who is approximately 19 yrs old, is healthy and has

Customer Question

My cat who is approximately 19 yrs old, is healthy and has put on a bit of weight. Last Thursday morning I noticed that her ear was badly swollen, I immediately took her to the vets who told me that she had an aural hematoma which was caused through shaking and scratching her ear (she does have polyps in her ear which she has antibiotic drops for) The vet tried to drain her ear but said that she thought the blood had started to clot, so was unable to get much blood out. On Friday morning the ear swelled up so she was again taken to the vet, who this time got quite a quantity of blood. Over the course of the week end it has again filled right up.I realise she will have to go to the vet. My question is could I leave it and use holistic remedies? The reason being I'm on limited financial income.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is not an uncommon situation and unfortunately the hematomas do refill in some animals. In cases like this, we have 3 options. The first is that your vet can surgically open this, drain the hematoma, and then tack down the skin to prevent recurrence. Otherwise, since she has refilled so many times already you may want to treat with the drops and after that infection is settled (and we are sure there is no active bleed in the ear) have it drained once more. At that point, they can also inject a bit of steroid to decrease inflammation within the ear. Finally, if costs are a concern, you can choose to just warm compress the ear to encourage the blood to resorb naturally. The only issue you need to be aware of is that the last option can lead to folding of the skin of the ear (akin to a cauliflower ear in people) once the blood is resorbed. So, her ear may look a bit odd afterwards but that would be an option as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )