Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 6 year old, male cat has lost s appetite, is projectile

My 6 year old, male cat has lost his appetite, is projectile vomiting green smelly bile, isn't himself, is grumpier yet quiet and is clearly unhappy. There is a big behaviour change. This has all come about in the last 24 hours.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any diarrhea?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and no. Well I haven't been any diarrhoea, he doesn't use a litter tray.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seen*
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never had any previous problems with him. However our other cat was at the vets 3 nights ago because she somehow dislocated her hip! Could she have brought a bug back?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, certainly vomiting can be caused by viruses or bacteria. But, if the other cat did not exhibit these symptoms unlikely for this to be something contagious. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, toxicity, pancreatitis or even part of a systemic disease (kidney or liver disease), etc. to name a few causes.

I would recommend a hands on examination by family vet; he may need some testing (blood work and xrays) to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In addition, he may need supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetics, etc.). In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist); if you can't find pepcid ac just leave him without anything.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shall I just see how he goes over night and take him to the vets in the morning? Or do you think he needs to see a vet tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

If he is not lethargic it can wait until the morning as long as he stops vomiting when you fast him. But, if he is lethargic and continues to vomit while fasting I would have him checked by ER veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in response for some reason the question did not come back to me. I am here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, great. He's not vomiting but is currently asleep. He's been asleep for the last hour.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you