Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have put Frontline flea capsules on my cat months running

I have put Frontline flea capsules on my cat for 2 months running and it has now effect at all. The fleas are biting me now. Have you any suggestions to help my cat who is scratching all the time
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

Unfortunately Frontline hasn't been working as well against fleas as it used to. Therefore, you will need to consider a newer alternative for your cat. Ideally we'd want to use a more updated product like Advantage II or Activyl. Otherwise, if you are being bit, you may need to treat your home since fleas will invest the home too. When doing so, do make sure to use a product that also contains insect growth regulator (IGR) to make sure you kill off the larvae, eggs, and adult fleas. Finally if he is scratching all the time, you can need to start your wee one on an OTC antihistamine ( ie Benadryl - 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours) or have his vet use a long acting steroid injection to at least settle the allergic itchiness from the fleas saliva.

Please take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can I apply Advantage as it is only a week since I applied Frontline?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If he has only had it a week ago, we'd need to treat the house this week and plan to use the new treatment next week since we do need a two week gap between the two.

Best regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help
Sheila grist