Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 14 yr old cat has stage 3 ckd and last year I was told

My 14 yr old cat has stage 3 ckd and last year I was told that she has 50% sight loss.
she seems well and is eating drinking etc but for the past two weeks she has had days when she cannot see but other days is fine. can you advise please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What tests did her vets do when they felt her sign was reduced?

Are you seeing any haze deep in the eye (clouding of the lens)?

Has she been on any treatment for her CKD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how sight loss was diagnosed as I took her for a check up as she was not eating very much. she was kept in , put on a drip and blood tests were done. I was advised of her advanced ckd and that no treatment could help. she will not eat the food prescribed but eats quite well . her eyes look perfectly normal some days and she can obviously see pretty well , but as today her pupils look very large and tinged with blue/ green
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Can you confirm she can see right now? You can try dropping a cotton ball to see if she can follow its fall.

If you shine a bright light in her eyes do the pupils constrict/get smaller?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don,t think she can see right now. I shone a light in her eyes but I couldn't see any difference
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now the reason for my questions about their sight diagnosis is because I am concerned that your lass may be on the cusp of detaching her retinas from the back of her eyes (especially since it sounds like the sight waxes and wanes, where other causes of sight loss tend to progress and not improve). This is something we can see when their blood pressure is abnormally high and kidney disease is a common cause of that. So, if her vet didn’t check a blood pressure at the time of diagnosis or didn’t do a whole fundic exam (this is where they use a lens to look at the retina), and if you think she is blind right now; then we’d want her to her vet now. Especially since the longer the retina is detached the less likely she will regain her sight this time. So, we'd want her seen right now.

Otherwise, while there isn’t a cure for kidney disease, it is advisable to treat even advanced cases. Especially if they are otherwise well and happy at home. So, it is worth a serious chat with her vet about treating her kidneys –for the sake of her blood pressure and eyes but also to just give those kidneys as much help as we can. I would note that since you are in the UK, you could request they trial her on Semintra. This is a kidney treatment that has been available for a few years now and I do find it very helpful in aiding the function of ailing kidneys (I even used it with my own cat with good effect) and would highly advise for your wee one.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )