Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have 2 5 year old cats currently suffering from different

I have 2 5 year old cats currently suffering from different types of diarrhoea and I need some help in how to help them off this.
Sebastian has suffered from IBS before and is no longer allowed biscuits. Whilst I was away my house sitter fed him biscuits and this resulted in a lot of sickness and diarrhoea. I've been going easy on giving him food and the sickness has now mostly stopped, he's coughing up ocassional furballs (which he doesn't usually do actually, is this normal? Is he preening more because he's sensitive to his condition?)
His runny poo is still ongoing though, should I withold food for a day and then continue? He's currently on Felix as good as it looks and he was always fine on this, even after the first time he suffered IBS.
Chloe is also suffering diarrhoea but this has mucus and occasional blood in it. What does this mean? As I know it's not the same thing Sebastian is suffering from
Should I withold food or carry on with this?
Chloe has always been funny about the litter tray and often poos on the back door mat, and recently on the living room carpet. I'm afraid she's getting into habits I can't break, what can I do to break her behaviour?
I think she is unhappy with how often she's having to go to the toilet, and last night I noticed her straining with nothing coming out.
Could stress be any part of this? They both live indoors and sometimes we let them out in the back yard. Chloe and Seb sometimes dont get on, and Chloe in particular tends to go for Seb sometimes without reason. I wanted to get a cat flap fitted so they can start to go out, should I get this done as soon as I can?
thanks!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if Chloe is only passing a bit of blood with her diarrhea, this is just likely a sign that the stools are irritating her colon and this should settle once the diarrhea does. Otherwise, I would note that we do not want to withhold food from either cat if there is no ongoing vomiting (the only time we tend to rest their stomach). Instead, we'd be better to use a light diet (ie boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or an OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). As these are easy to digest, small meals of these should lessen the diarrhea. And if you use one of those canned options, you could add a small dose of Benefiber (0.25tsp mixed into food only) to bulk up their stools quicker.

To slow it further, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies (avoid Loperamide, Imodium, or Pepto Bismol since these aren't cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal here if this was started off with a quick diet change by the sitter). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, it is quite possible that this diarrhea is from the sitter's feeding them but stress is a consideration too (since overgrooming from Seb and toileting by doors are both stress behaviors in cats -- the latter often related to stress about other cats outside). But overall you will want to sort the diarrhea first and then work on access to outside, since tackling both of those will likely help with the inappropriate defecation you are starting to see here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dr B, that's very helpful. I'll start them on this and see if I can get this sorted
thanks :)