Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 4 year old cat hs had an on / off problem with blood in

My 4 year old cat hs had an on / off problem with blood in her urine for about a year now. She has had x rays which showed stones, followed by treatment with metacam, urilieve and a prescription diet. She seemed to get better and an examination of her urine by the vet concluded that it was stone free - however it was still blood stained. The vet said this would likely subside in a week or two.
We took her back to the vet because the blood staining wouldn't go away. They gave her a course of antibiotics which haven't worked. They now say they want to x ray her again to look for stones and to take a urine sample directly from her bladder using a needle and syringe. I asked why they couldn't just get one using a catheter and they said it would be contaminated. I don't understand this. Also, they've said that if stones are still there, they want to operate to remove the stones by cutting open her bladder. Again, why can't they just use a catheter?? The surgery has a lot of young vets who are still gaining experience and I'm starting to be concerned that they are wanting to take the most drastic course of treatment so they can add it to their completed procedure list.
I hope I don't sound cynical - I love my cat and want what's best for her - but I don't want to put her through a major operation or a needle into her bladder if this problem can be resolved by simply inserting a catheter.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Jasmine has had a rough time of trying to get bladder calculi resolved and that she continues to have blood in her urine.

It sounds like the most conservative treatment plan including an anti-inflammatory and prescription food, which often results in improvement and avoids the need for surgery, was tried and failed to fully address her trouble.

Ideally we like to take a series of radiographs as time goes on to make sure that the calculi are fully resolved with treatment. We cannot be sure of their resolution just by a lack of crystals in the urine unfortunately. Diets alone don't always fully dissolve calculi as sometimes the center of a calculus is composed of different material that cannot be resolved with diet. Those kitties need surgery.

Because they have fur, and don't bathe as routinely as we do, in animals a catheterized sample may not be sterile, or at least clean enough, that we can obtain a reliable, uncontaminated sample that is good for culture. The best way to collect a sample in animals is with a sterile needle and syringe to collect a sample directly from the bladder. This is not uncomfortable for the cat, is quick, and is much more reliable for culture.

There are specialty centers that use lithotripsy (sound waves introduced via a catheter while the patient is anesthetized) to break down calculi into small enough pieces to flush them out of the bladder. Unfortunately cats and small dogs are too small for this to be practical. We don't have small enough equipment, and breaking down pieces to the size they would need to be to pass through a cat's urethra could do a lot of inflammatory damage to the interior wall of her bladder. Standard of care for bladder calculi that aren't dissolved over this length of time is surgery to remove the calculi and to collect some to analyze them so we can prevent new ones from forming.

I understand it is upsetting to think of putting her through surgery, but long term getting those calculi will get her more comfortable, avoid long term inflammation and secondary infections and is best for her.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. I wasn't clear on one point - she did have an x ray which showed her to be stone-free - this is when they told us that the stones had gone and that the blood would go within a week or two. If she has formed stones again so quickly, what is the point of having them surgically removed if more will just immediately start to form?

Thanks for that further information. There are different types of calculi. Some can be seen on normal radiographs and some can't. We may need to introduce contrast material or use an ultrasound to see those.

When we remove the calculi we can analyze them, and that may change the diet she is being fed to help avoid the calculi from reforming. We are hoping to avoid calculi from reforming, and we would not recommend putting her through surgery if we believed they would come right back.

Some cats with chronic calculi will form inflammatory polyps on the lining of their bladder wall too. And we can remove those at the time of surgery too.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Is this a fairly routine surgery with a good success rate?

Yes, it is one that is done pretty routinely in general practices. She is young and should heal nicely.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much - you have reassured me. I have been so wooried about this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry... worried!!!

Of course I completely understand how worried you must be. It has been a long road for her, and it is hard to feel positive when things are lingering. But I absolutely think your veterinarians have her best interests at heart, and are proceeding appropriately.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.