Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a (nearly) 8 year old male neutered cat. He is now

Customer Question

Hello. I have a (nearly) 8 year old male neutered cat. He is now very ill. My vet has been excellent and I have total confidence in him but I wonder if you could help me to understand what may be happening. About 8 months ago Woods showed signs of what looked like diabetes. He went off his food and started to drink and urinate a lot. Urine and blood sample showed raised blood sugar. This was only borderline however and, having changed his food from dry to wet (which he immediately started to eat and which seemed to solve the excess drinking and urinating) he was maintained by diet. Over the months he has continued to lose weight. The intention was to try him with insulin. However, he doesn't now really display the diabetic symptoms. He has been eating a reasonable amount and drinking relatively little. His behaviour has been normal but has become more toned down as time has gone by. The only other symptom has been gradual weight loss. My vet thinks there is an underlying medical problem. We have discussed this and we agree that it would not be fair to put Woods through more tests and distress. My question is though - what might the underlying condition be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry you have been going through this with Woods. Do you have a copy of his lab testing? I would be happy to take a look if you have it. Aside from that, the most common conditions which might cause his clinical signs are kidney disease or pancreatitis.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.

The blood test for pancreatitis is a specific one that is not included on most general screening panels. Do you know if your vet has ordered this particular test (an fPL - feline pancreatic lipase)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if that was part of the blood test taken. Maybe some more information might help you. He was quite flat when he saw the vet on Saturday morning. He had just about been holding his own and then he went out for the night on Thursday night. When he eventually came home on Friday afternoon he was very sick - twice. It looked to me like a nest of birds. He has always been a hunter. He didn't want to eat after that and I suspect still felt unwell when he saw the vet on Saturday morning. Yesterday he ate well. He has the special food for diabetic cats and I also cooked him a small piece of fish. He found his appetite yesterday. This morning, while still very thin, he was much brighter and keen to go out. I take the view that unless he's really unwell (in which case he wants to stay in anyway) he should be allowed out if he wants to go. He has always liked going out particularly in the summer. He seems back to the way he was. Very thin but eating well and not over-drinking (he had a small drink this morning but certainly doesn't camp out by the water bowl at all). He was certainly happier in himself. Could you tell me a bit more about pancreatitis and the kidney failure you mentioned please? I'm not keen to return Woods to the vet unless I absolutely have to. It just isn't fair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Susan. I added a further query yesterday and have not received a reply. I have, however, received a request to rate your service so wonder if you have received the further question? Since yesterday, Woods is generally as before. He was out all day yesterday, came home late - tired - slept well and then ate a good breakfast and had a small drink. Any comments you have would be gratefully received.
Adele
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'very received another request to rate your service. However, I haven't heard anything in response to my follow up comments. Perhaps the connection was lost?