Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 21 year old cat is having difficulty eating and this is

My 21 year old cat is having difficulty eating and this is due mainly to tartar which hurts when he tries to chew. I am told he is too old for anaesthetic to remove the tartar but he is becoming so thin . I am mashing and liquidising food but he is still not able to eat it What can I do, please. I do not wan to lose him.
Barbara
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If just due to the dental disease, most of the pain comes from inflamed gums and exposed roots due to infection. There area couple options you have here. I would talk to your vet about putting him on pulse therapy of antibiotics. Clindamycin would be preferable. You can do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and so on. That will help to keep the infection under control and make it a little less painful. I would also talk to them about getting him on tramadol to help control the pain. They can most likely get this compounded into a suspension if he does not do well with tablets. You will have to check with your vet because I am not sure what the drug compounding laws are in the UK. If you can do that, it would probably help him out. The only other alternative is to put him under to clean the teeth and remove them. Yes, he is old, but age is not a disease. If blood work is normal, and his heart is in good shape, his anesthetic risk should be lower. Now, your vet may not just be comfortable with putting cats her age under. The way I see it here is that if he continues like he is, you will most likely have to make the decision to euthanize soon. With anesthesia and dental care, there is a risk of complications, but there is also a chance you can make him more comfortable. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.