Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What does "zero temperature" in a kitten mean? He has a

what does "zero temperature" in a kitten mean? He has a blockage in the intestine and very poorly.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I assume that this means that the temperature on the thermometer was not registering? If that is the case, it is probably because the temperature is too low. With most digital thermometers, they won't read below a certain value. That is usually not a good sign. I usually means that the body is in shock and diverting blood away from most organs and to the essential organs only (brain, liver and kidney). Unfortunately, the other organs start to shut down. Emergency surgery would be necessary but with the temperature that low, he may not survive anesthesia, unless they can get it back up. I hope this his the information you are looking for. Please let me know if it is not.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.