Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Cat has recently had all s teeth out (over 1 week ago) he

Hi My Cat has recently had all his teeth out (over 1 week ago) he also has hip dysplaysia and has a mild spinal injury? also the bginnings of renal decline. We adopted him one year ago. He has been put on metacam but he has deteriorated and is now not eating and incredibly lethargic. He also has not pooed for approximately 5 days. The vet does not appear too worried. Reading up on metacam - it can have these side affects and lead to anorexia which is where he is heading. It states that metacam is 79% excreted by faeces and 21% urine. If he is not defacating is it building up in his body aggrevating these side effects?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lad. Now if he isn't eating, he will have little to pass as stool. Though that isn't the major worry. Instead, you need to be aware that you cannot use Metacam if he is not eating since it can cause stomach irritation,nausea and even stomach ulcers. Furthermore, we tend to avoid this medication in patients with renal compromise since it can worsen kidney function.

So, ideally he should be on a kidney safe pain relief (ie Buprenorphine) for his hips/spine. As well, we need to take steps to protect that stomach and get him eating. To start, you can consider ringing his vet for an antacid (ie Famotidine, Ranitidine liquid, Cimetidine) or anti-nausea medication (ie Cerenia, Zofran, etc). The former will reduce the risk of stomach ulcers from the Metacam and both can tackle nausea (the #1 cause of appetite loss in cats). As well, they can even dispense an appetite stimulant to give him a "push" to eat for us.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Though if he cannot be tempted and as long as he has no vomiting, you can also consider syringe feeding at this point. To do so, we can use a calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even canned kitten food. As well, there are also liquid diets like Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet or Catsure. All of these are nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories in even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in.

Overall, I am quite worried about Jimmy. There are a number of reasons to see appetite decline in a cat, but given his situation we'd be worried the Metacam (+/- worsening kidney disease) is triggering what seeing. Therefore, we'd want to ring his vet about those above medications and start working to keep him eating. If we can't get him to do so (and secondary liver issues then become a worry), then we may need him rechecked +/- IV fluids given to support his kidneys, flush out the Metacam and help us get him settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I will definitely follow up with the vet on all of these options - I stopped giving the Metacam on Sunday Evening.kind regards
Helen
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Helen.

I am glad you have and that sounds like a perfect plan of action.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr .B.