Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is panting heavily with her mouth wide open and

My cat is panting heavily with her mouth wide open and tongue sticking out with her stomach rising and falling really quickly, is she just too hot?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is the temperature warm where she is in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She isn't strictly indoors, she goes out when I am home and I let her out and she has been spending lots of time outside recently. Probably unrelated but she seems to have got fleas in the last few days as I've combed a few out and noticed some lumps like flea bites under her chin.I've been out at work until about 20 minutes ago, she was doing it when I got in. She wasn't doing it when I left about 9 hours ago.It's warm here, it was 32 degrees today and very hot last night too, hard to sleep in. I've got a fan pointed at her now
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is it possible for you to take her rectal temperature? If she becomes even a little stress do not continue and stop. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a thermometer to do that unfortunately
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few more minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, in response to your question yes it is possible that she is panting because of the temperature if it is very warm. However, in cats as a species when they are breathing as you have described it is also important to rule out an underlying heart or lung disease. In other words, her breathing could be an indication that her heart is failing as a pump. If this is the case and she goes untreated by a veterinarian the outcome is often fatal; for this reason I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight, do not wait. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit except keeping her in a cool room ideally with a/c. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.