Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 6 month old cat has always done a wee on my bed, at least

My 6 month old cat has always done a wee on my bed, at least daily. The vet has confirmed he has nothing wrong with him. I have changed the location of his litter tray, the size of the litter tray and the litter that I use but the problem is still persisting. He will use the tray predominantly but will go on the bed usually when I am in it.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is not an uncommon problem in some cats.

From what you have told me, it appears that your cat is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress that you may not be aware of. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine your cat to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior which you have done and this is now ruled out. The next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean. Have 2 or 3 boxes rather than just one.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots on your bed.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips: LINK

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your speedy response, much appreciated. I have not tried the Feliway spray so I will give that a go; he has never seemed like a stressed cat though, he appears very happy and affectionate. Do you think there is any significance in him weeing the bed predominantly when I am in the room? He has also had a wee in my suitcase today, but I would imagine he thought it was a litter tray. I forgot to mention originally that he has two trays in the house already.

Even though he does not appear stressed, this is what will cause this and you may never know what is causing your guy to do this. It is also hard to know the significance of peeing in your bed and I am sure he knew your suitcase is not a litter box. There is something with you....not sure what but if the FEliway does not work, try my other suggestions to stop this behavior. It is not always easy because, like I said, you may never know what has spurred this on....it just has to be stopped.