Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Why is our 7 year old male cat pulling out hair on s back. s

why is our 7 year old male cat pulling out hair on his back. his sister who lives here also has no such behavior.
regards
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The most common cause for this hair pulling is a condition called Hormone Responsive Alopecia. This is caused by years of a lack of testosterone after being castrated and this can be treated with hormones or steroids. You will have to contact your vet for any of tehse medications.

This could also be caused by an allergic reaction so treat your guy with Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs. If he does not respond, have your vet examine your guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!