Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have just returned from holiday to find my cat licking her

Customer Question

I have just returned from holiday to find my cat licking her bottom a lot. I picked her up and she squealed, most unlike her. I have now seen that she has a dark red discharge. What should I do? She's a member of Bridge street vets in Epsom and is 13 years old.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Had you put pressure on her abdomen when you lifted her?

Was the discharge from her rectum or vulva?

Any swellings, sores, or lumps around her rectum?

Have you seen her visiting the litter box more? Any reports from her sitter about her needing to pass urine or stool more often?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again,

I am afraid that I cannot offer the services you have requested at this time. Please let me know if you would like to continue our conversation in this Q&A session or if you would prefer me to opt out and see if a colleague can offer this for you.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello, sorry we can't talk directly. Do you need me to explain anything further to what I have already written?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again,

I did have a few more questions (which I posted above), are you able to answer those for me?

Here they are again in case you could not see them:

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi, I just need to know if I should get the cat to an emergency vet or if the likely cause for the anal bleeding discharge is something that can wait until Monday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for clarifying where the blood was arising from; since blood from the vulva would make us worried about other issues.

If it is anal but is not severe, then we likely have a situation where she has ruptured an anal gland (often secondary to lingering infection or impaction). Though we can see this with colitis, anal tumors or polyps. As long as this isn't profuse, it is not a true emergency. But if he licking it excessively and is very sore, then we'd be better having her seen then leaving her to suffer over the weekend. So, you may want to consider ringing her usual practice as many do have weekend hours. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if her vets there cannot help for any reason, you can check the RCVS Register (http://www.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or check for your local Vets Now (https://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends if need be to get her settled with this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Dr B. I ha e just pressed her abdomen and she is fine with this. However there is a sore area by her vulva and I will now take her to the vets. Kim
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad she is comfortable when you did as it rules out more serious issues but if she is sore there then getting her at least on kitty safe pain relief from her vet would be best for her.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.