Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I just heard that the brother of my female cat died of

I just heard that the brother of my female cat died of cancer and I was told by his oner that it was something he had been born with. Is there any chance that his sister could develop the same issue?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Hayley, your female's brother might have been born with the oncogenic (cancer inducing) feline leukemia virus and if your cat harbored that virus as well would be at higher risk for developing a cancer. He may have been born predisposed to developing inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and IBD can transmute into a small cell lymphoma in the GI tract. Your female could certainly suffer from IBD as it's relatively common in older cats but whether or not it would transmute into lymphoma is unknown. I would be pleased to review any additional information you could obtain from his owner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is fully vaccinated and had a check up 7 months ago so could the vaccine she received stop this from happening?

Yes, the vaccine against feline leukemia is quite protective and it's almost impossible to infect a cat of her age in any event. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering my questions. It has eased my worries.

You're quite welcome.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.