Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 4year old cat has just done a very runny poo ending with

my 4year old cat has just done a very runny poo ending with blood!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear about your fellow having a loose stool with blood.

Of course you are concerned about him having blood in his stool.

How is he feeling otherwise? Is he bright, alert and playful, eating and drinking well? If so this may be related to a change in diet or gastrointestinal parasites, which are quite common in cats. He needs his stool checked for worms and protozoal parasites, as either can cause bleeding. Sometimes parasites can be difficult to pick up on a single fecal check, we need to check several.

If you are also feeding a different food or treats than he was fed before and if it was an abrupt change that too can cause diarrhea, sometimes with blood.

Other causes for blood in the stool can be impacted or infected anal glands, a rectal polyp or mass or colitis which is inflammation of the colon. Colitis can be caused by a food sensitivity or allergy or a primary autoimmune (body attacks itself type response).

If this is a recurrent problem he needs an examination. Make sure his anal glands are checked, a fresh stool sample is submitted to the laboratory to look for parasites or abnormal bacteria. If those are normal then an ultrasound to evaluate his colon or a scope of his colon would be reasonable.

In the meantime to soothe his irritated gastrointestinal tract I recommend a bland diet of 2/3 minced, boiled, white, skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal to add fiber which can soothe the colon. This is easy to digest and should soothe his intestines.

Once he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to his regular food.

If the bland diet and increased pumpkin fiber helps you may wish to continue adding pumpkin to his food long term.

However if he is feeling poorly otherwise, not eating well or playful I recommend he be seen as soon as possible by your veterinarian. Please let me know if you have any further questions.