Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hope you are well, I have emailed you before about Daisy's

Hello Dr B hope you are well, I have emailed you before about Daisy's kidney condition.Daisy is 18 in August and was recently diagnosed with CKD, her latest report has come back that her creatinine level is within normal range and her Urea is 14. The renal food has really helped I think to improve her condition. Her last creatinine reading was 232 and now comes out at 190 and her urea was 14.1 and is now 14. She was also on six weeks worth of Noroclav antibiotics to try and get rid of the blood in her Urine.Sadly even though her kidney readings have improved there is still a lot of blood in her urine. She had a ultrasound six weeks ago and they couldn't find anything sinister other than her left kidney is smaller which is probably due to the disease. The vet said that as long as Daisy is eating and seems well in her self it might just be that we have to chalk it up to one of life's mysteries. I was so pleased with the kidney results, that when she said there was still I a lot of blood in her urine I felt very tearful as I don't like not knowing what is going on. Just really want to know what do for the best.I have been reading up on Tanya's page about Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease was wondering if she might have this ??? She has had bouts of cystitis all her life. They didn't find any cysts or polyps on the ultrasound, I will double check though but I am sure she said nothing sinister so I am presuming they looked for them. The vet is going to phone a urologist on Monday to see if there are any other reasons for the blood.Another request please, this is not kidney related but she does have a squidgy small lump on her right cheek just down from her whiskers, you can touch it and she does not flinch, it feels watery. I have had it checked by two vets so as to get to independent views, one vet thinks it could be a blocked tear duct and is very common, I think the other vet just thinks its the least of her problems. They are not sure but they don't want to syringe it incase it opens up an infection unless it gets bigger. I am keeping an eye on it. Any experience of this ?? Also the vet found recently that Daisy's anal glands were large. She cleaned them out for her and as a result she seems much better, her bowl movements look healthy and she is not dragging her bottom on the floor which she tends to do if they are blocked.
Is there anything else I can do with regard finding what could be the cause of the blood ??. The vet is happy to see her in three months if Daisy stays stable.Much thanks
Emma Guinan
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Emma,

I am very glad to hear that her kidney values have improved so much and she is doing well. As well, its good to hear that her vet is ringing the urologist if they were not able to find a reason for these abnormal bleeds.

Can you tell me if they noted any bladder wall thickening or inflammation?

When she has cystitis in the past, was it confirmed to be bacterial? Was it ever linked to stress?

Could you post a photo of this lump for me (either using the paperclip button over your text box or by posting the photo on any site and then pasting a link for me to follow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, she has only had her urine tested twice in the past before her kidney problems. The first time they couldn't find any crystals or protein and the 2nd time they found a small amount of protein but didn't precede further as they didn't seem concerned. They didn't mention noticing wall thickening or inflammation. With regard to Daisy's lump I found it when I was stroking her face, you can't actually see it with the naked eye.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now with a history of cystitis that we don't know for sure was bacterial and considering her current issues, FLUTD/Feline Idiopathic Cystitis is quite possible. It is something we can see intermittently in cats over their lifetime and it can be hemorrhagic. Though for a kitty that is passing blood but isn't straining like a cystitis, it doesn't quite fit as well as we'd like it too. Still, it is worth having a word with Daisy's vets about FLUTD and whether there was any bladder wall thickening/inflammation on ultrasound when the ruled out those other concerns. As well, if there is any doubt of this being present here based on their exam and test findings, you may want to discuss trialing her on Cystaid or Cystease to support her bladder's health.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** lump, this is tricky. You noted that it was just down from her whiskers but tear ducts tend to be in the corners of the eye and then running to the nose. So, without seeing it I cannot say it fits with a tear duct blockage. But if it has been present for a while and isn't changing in size, it could just be a cyst or knot of scar tissue. So, as long as its small and not growing, we can monitor it as we face everything else. But any change to that and we would want to have them carefully sample it to ensure its nothing we need to address for her.

Best wishes and a pleasant evening,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am booking in with a more senior vet for a second opinion re Daisy's lump and will also see if he has any opinions re FLUTD. Many thanks yet again for your advice.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan, do let me know how you get on. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will thank you very much