Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat barney passed away suddenly on Sunday he got so

Customer Question

Hi my cat barney passed away suddenly on Sunday he got so skinny all within a week I mean really skinny and not eating that much at all Sunday his back legs gave out and his breathing went funny with funny noises and he jolted and died with his eyes open I cannot afford an autopsy from vets please could you offer a little insight into what was wrong with him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation with poor Barney and wanted to help.

How old was Barney?

Did he have any known health issues?

Had he stopped eating and drinking?

Was he vomiting or had diarrhea?
Any chance he had access to toxins (ie plants, poisons, medications, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Barney was only 8 he started only eating and drinking bare minimum , he had diarrhoea yes we took him to the vets a few months ago as he couldn't keep his food down and they gave tablets can't remember what they was but suddenly over the last week he had got so skinny he was an outdoor cat I'm not sure on toxins
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Since he had vomiting a few months ago, had that settled with treatment or was it still an issue?

Do you mean he had diarrhea up until passing away? Was it quite profuse?

Can you confirm that we can rule out poisoning or other pre-existing health issues?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think we can rule out toxins, yes I think the vomiting calmed down as I didn't see anymore vomit in the house when he stayed in over night, the diarrhoea was right up until he passed it even came out runny after he passed where he was laying in his bed , sorry no he didn't have any other health issues , just suddenly so skinny even me trying to keep him in and feed him little and often he drank no water either, I was in the process of making another vet appointment but sadly it was to late he didn't want to go out just layer on the floor with paws apart and chin on floor loking dazed if tbat makes sence but was still responsive to me I assumed it was because the floor was nice and cold for him he couldn't even jump on top of his cupboard as he got so skinny and weak until the last day when his back legs just gave out and he was breathing funny with funny noises and just jolted and passed with eyes open he looked in pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, diarrhea and weight loss can be triggered by so many issues. Just to note, I would note that if he had appetite loss and diarrhea all at once, then those combined (low intake, high output) would have been the cause of that severe sudden weight loss. As well, it likely caused dehydration and when severe in pets so small, we can see severe metabolic and electrolyte changes which can be fatal for them.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** triggers, common causes will be bacterial, viral, parasitic, protozoal, secondary to IBD or cancer, obstructions in the gut, or related to severe allergic reactions to something they ate. With all these in mind, I would note that there are a number of viruses that can cause these signs but also affect the rest of the body and therefore induce severe signs like we have seen here. As well, there are a lot of bacterial agents that could trigger what you have seen as well. Some can spread into the blood stream to cause a severe sepsis. Otherwise can produce toxins which can lead to toxic shock and sudden death. And in regards ***** ***** cancers, we can see a situation called “tumor lysis syndrome” where the tumor outgrows its blood supply, dies, and releases toxins that can again cause severe illness and death. So, we have a lot to consider on those fronts for what we have seen here but these would be our suspicions for Barney’s severe and sudden signs.

Please take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thankyou for your help even though we cannot get to a definite reason I appreciate the time you have given me I will just put it down to dehydration that shocked his body and try and explain it to the kids
Many thanks again
Debbie
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, Debbie.

Best wishes for this difficult time,

Dr. B.