Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I hope you can help. Yesterday I noticed that my 5 year cat

I hope you can help. Yesterday I noticed that my 5 year cat had one of her pupils bigger than the other. It's not something I've noticed on her before, and I rectified itself and I haven't noticed it since.
I looked it up online and the information said that it could be a sign of an underlying disease. Is this right, or can it happen sometimes in cats? I don't want to rush her off to the vets if it can be normal (she is a torty and White and goes almost wild at the vets, which is distressing for all), but neither do I want to ignore something that could be potentially life threatening.
Your advice would be gratefully appreciated on this matter.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can you confirm that the light reaching both her eyes during these episodes is equal (since having her head turned towards or away from a light could change the pupil size independently)?

Does the pupils stay uneven despite her moving to different areas with different lighting?

Do they appear fixed or do they change during that time at all (if it was ongoing just now you could flash a bright light in each to see if it responds)?

Any access to toxins (ie plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any known health issues?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dr B,Thank you so much for getting back to me.I have shone a light into both eyes and they react the same. I've also noticed that they react the same when she looks out of the window.She is normally a fit and healthy cat and is eating and drinking as normal. She hasn't had any access to toxins or poisons that I know of, and thinking about the situation yesterday when he pupils were different, she was half turned towards the light of the kitchen and the dark of the living room, and I did wonder at the time if that could've caused it, but wasn't sure.I'm hoping that it was just a reaction the the different light sources, but obviously wanted to get expert advice, just in case.Many thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

First, I am very glad to hear that her pupils are responsive to light when it is changed or shined directly in the eye. This tells us that the brain and retina are both registering the light and thus altering pupil dilation accordingly. That means that issues with brain, optic nerve, or retinal function would be less likely. So, I wouldn't be overly worried about inflammation, infection, or other issues affecting these critical points in the sight and pupil function pathway.

Instead if this is intermittent and you are seeing this when the light is not equal, I suspect you are just seeing each pupil compensating to the light each retina is seeing; which is normal and just the same for us. So, again we'd not be worried here since it is on occasion and when you checked the pupils showed you that they are still working as they should.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Aww thank you ever so much for your advice - it has really put my mind at ease!Kind regards
Tabby's Mum!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am glad I could give you peace of mind and wish you both the best.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.