Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

One of our two 13 week old kittens has developed two lumps,

One of our two 13 week old kittens has developed two lumps, one on either side about a third of the way down his body. They are not painful and he hasn't been in a fight. He recently had his innoculations, but I think the lumps are not where he would have had those as they're a bit further down his body.
Our vet prescribed anti-inflammatory medicine last Thursday which he has been taking but there is no reduction in the size of the lumps. He will see the vet again next Thursday and she has advised taking a sample from them if the lumps don't go away. The lumps feel as if they could be attached to tissue underneath them. Other than cancer is there anything else which could possibly have caused these lumps?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Owain. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

These could be enlarged lymph nodes, and might get smaller on their own after a little while. Since there is one on each side, that is the most likely thing. Since he is a kitten, cancer is unlikely, but feline leukemia infection is a possibility. Has he been tested for feline leukemia?

I agree that doing FNA, fine needle aspiration, is the next step: insert a small hollow needle into the lumps to get some cells to examine microscopically. That should tell what these lumps are, and if they are anything to worry about. I would also ask your veterinarian about a feline leukemia test if they turn out to be lymph nodes.

It is possible that in the immune system's response to the vaccination, the lymph nodes temporarily enlarge.

Let me know what other questions I can answer, and if this was helpful!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Was this helpful; did I answer all your questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I thought I HAD replied by saying thank you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did not see that you said that; I did not see a response at all.

You are welcome, and thank your for the bonus and great rating!