Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our female cat suffers from what appears to be a really

Hi, our female cat suffers from what appears to be a really itchy nose. She has lumps and sores on the nose and also appears to have itchy eyes. She's always scratching / rubbing her nose, it's a real mess. We have been administering atopica into the mouth every other day and trying to wipe her eyes with as often as we can. Vet has done all the usual checks but it's just not getting any better. So I casting the net further to see if anyone has seen this before. I have a photo if it would help but don't know how to upload one on here.
Simon
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Simon, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would like to see a photo. You can upload it by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Do you have a mosquito problem where you live?

Please check the photo(s) before uploading to make sure that they're in focus.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Dr. Salkin,
Thank you for your response. No mosquito problem, she is treated for fleas, which we occasionally find on her but generally the treatment is effective. She sneezes quite a lot . If she were human I'd say she suffers terribly from hay fever ! She likes to lie about in our small garden, mainly in plain view on the grass but sometimes tucked away in border plants. An to the best of my wife's knowledge there are no plants that would potentially cause harm, nor do we use any pesticides. Hopefully you can see the photo attached. Best regards, Simon.

Thank you! How old is Bonnie, please? I would be concerned about solar dermatitis and squamous cell carcinoma in such a patient. The next diagnostic of choice should be skin biopsy. Pemphigus erythematosus and discoid lupus erythematosus are other important differential diagnoses also apparent in biopsies.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.