Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I saw my cat nibbling a dragon tree He has been sick (I

Hi there, I saw my cat nibbling a dragon tree http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/dragon-tree/ He has been sick (I think!) a couple of times, as I can see clear liquid on the floor with some dark green leaf in. He ate his dinner after nibbling the plant, and seems perfectly happy and normal. One of the patches of liquid on the floor has a slight pink-ish hue - it could be his food but I'm worried it might be blood. He seems perfectly happy. What should I do? It's been around 2.5 hours since he ate it.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Heather, it doesn't sound as if your cat were seriously intoxicated by the saponins in those leaves. Forceful vomiting can rupture capillaries in the stomach lining resulting in hematemesis - blood in the vomitus. As long as vomiting doesn't persist, the stomach lining will heal itself within 24 hours. There's no need to treat him at this time. Persistent vomiting should dictate a vet to administer an injectable antiemetic and antacid.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, that's really helpful! If he doesn't vomit again and still seems happy, shall I give him his breakfast as normal? It would be in about 8 hours time.

You bet. An 8 hour fast until breakfast is just the ticket. Feed his usual food. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.