Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 year old cat, Tabby, helped himself to a soft candy (

Hello. My 10 year old cat, Tabby, helped himself to a soft candy ( primary ingredients are milk and sugar- no chocolate and no raisins ) this morning around 5 am. I went to work and now it's 4 pm. There's caramel/ dark brown diarrhea in his litter box. He's very energetic and not throwing up. Should I take him to the vet now or should I wait a couple of days to see if there's improvement in his stools?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides the diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. He threw up some saliva this morning before I left at 6 am.( he ate it at 5 am ). Just saliva- nothing white or creamy. When I came home 15 min. ago, I saw no throw-ups anywhere. No other symptoms. He's very energetic and running around right now. The diarrhea is caramel/ dark brown in color.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the good news is that the soft candy is not going to be toxic as you may already know. But, because of the milk and sugar, it is common to cause vomiting or diarrhea in cats. This is not a life threatening condition to go to ER vet now. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.