Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My car has had red/clear discharge from bottom today, only a

My car has had red/clear discharge from bottom today, only a little and only once. He hasn't been for a poo, and he is neutured. He is 8 months old and is acting fine, playing eating. Though his tummy is a little big. But it doesn't bother him when I touch it and he doesn't seem to be in pain. What should I do to help him go to the toilet.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he been passing urine normally?

Has he been straining like he needs to pass urine or feces?

When did he last pass stool?

If you press on his belly firmly, is it tense or sore at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is passing urine, he last went yesyerday, and his stomach isn't bothering him but it is quite solid and hard. I haven't seen him strain so far
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I am very glad that he can pass urine normally, as not being able to do so is an emergency for male kitties.

With that aside, the red/clear discharge was likely mucus from an irritated bowel. This could be related to a brewing constipation but we can see this in cats with worms, protozoal infections, and brewing colitis.

Now in regards ***** ***** get stool moving, we do have a few support options you can try at home to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity. First, we sometimes find that cow’s milk can be helpful at getting things moving along since dogs are like lactose sensitive people and will have increased gut movement with this. Otherwise, we can use a GI lubricant to get things moving. Often we will use OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) from the vet or the pet shop. Similarly, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this it can also help to increase the fiber in his diet. To do so, you can consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink if he isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure he has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if he is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, if we are seeing a bit of mucus/blood and he hasn't passed stool, then we can try giving him a bit of a "push" to pass feces. Though if you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or any straining without feces; then we'd want to have his vet have a feel of his GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. You've been extremely helpful. I'm am very happy with your help ��
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He's just this minute been for a poo! Very happy.