Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have just found a packet of Broadline cat flea and worm

I have just found a packet of Broadline cat flea and worm treatment in my cupboard with the expiry date of Jan 2016. There are 2 unopened blister packs and wonder if it is safe to use them still. As she is an inside cat we only put spot on when we go on holiday and she needs to go into a cattery which is why they have not been used. I know they might not be as effective after the use by date but I am more concerned that they will not do her any harm. Due to the cost of this treatment I dont want to dispose of it and buy new if this is still ok to use. I need to use one this week. Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I've frequently used these products even though they've been applied after the expiration date on the package. As you noted, they may not be quite as effective as if they were used before the indicated date but they certainly will do no harm. In some instances, I'm fairly certain that there was no loss of efficacy...although it's sometimes difficult to know for sure.

If I were in your shoes, I'd apply the product you have and not worry that my cat would suffer any adverse reactions by doing so.

I hope this helps. Deb