Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

For the 1st time ever in his 6 year life I noticed a jelly

for the 1st time ever in his 6 year life I noticed a white jelly like substance in the corner of
my cat's right eye.He has never had any infections before throughout his life.What is this
substance and what can I do about it?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Terence, the "white jelly-like substance" consists mainly of mucus which is either secreted excessively secondary to an infectious, allergic, or irritant conjunctivitis or, less commonly, accumulates due to a blockage in the lacrimal system preventing normal drainage of the tears and mucus out of the eye. If Pinko is otherwise normal - you're not seeing blepherospasm ("squinting") or erythema (redness) in that eye, you can simply wash the mucus away with saline, artificial tears, or even tap water impregnated into a cotton ball. If it continues to reform after a few days it would be prudent to have Pinko's vet take a look at the eye. A thorough ophthalmologic exam including staining of Pinko's cornea looking for indications of trauma and checking his intraocular pressure should be performed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I shall try washing the mucus away and see what happens.Thank you

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.