Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

I have a 22 year old cat with overactive thyroid. Last

Customer Question

I have a 22 year old cat with overactive thyroid. Last couple of days she has taken to sleeping stretched out on the floor. She's eating fine not drinking much but that's nothing new for her. She is using the litter tray although only doing little amounts of urine. She keeps trying to clean herself but also keeps trying to scratch
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. Can you tell me a bit more about what is going on. How long has she had an overactive thyroid and are you treating it with medication. Also, is it unusual for her to scratch?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has been hyperthyroid for many years and is on regular medication. Yes it is unusual for her to scratch. At first I thought you may have developed an allergy to something as she is allergic to fleas so I have to stay on top of that. It's also very unusual for her to sleep in the floor. At the moment she is sleeping on the floor in front of the fan so I suspect she is hot
Hum... I suspect this is related to the hyperthyroidism. The thyroid medication has been associated with causing itchiness, but that is something that usually happens right when they start it. I wouldn't expect it years later so I'm not sure where the scratching is coming from. The sleeping on the floor could be thyroid. Especially if her thyroid numbers have shifted, she could feel to warm or too anxious or just strange. This can lead to strange behaviors. As long as it isn't associated with any other problem, such as rapid breathing, then you can monitor it. If it's not changing you might want to have her thyroid checked to see if she needs her medication dose adjusted.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her breathing is a bit rapid
That might be a problem. Sometimes cats will stretch out in unusual places when they have lung disease or fluid on their lungs. That is serious. Can you take him to a vterinarian soon?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She isn't always breathing rapid but yes I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I thought this was her thyroid playing up because she used to do this exact thing before being diagnosed and her food intake has increased once I thought about it. Her pulse is ok though. To be honest she seems marginally better now to a few hours ago as she has also slept on the sofa for the last couple of hours and in a normal position not stretched out. One thing I wanted to ask is she has put on weight and I wondered would that effected the dosage of her meds being effective?
Typically their weight change doesn't effect their dose unless it is a huge change... Like 50% of their body weight or more. Usually it is just time and changes in their thyroid that effects their dose.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr Stacy you have been a great help. Can I please just let you know the outcome once I see the vet?
Absolutely. Best wishes.
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Saw the vet. She said my cat has bad case of cystitis so all is well. Thank you x