Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Just been my cat and noticed a lump on his bag left leg near

Just been stroking my cat and noticed a lump on his bag left leg near hips it's not hard it's under the skin but not like a ball doesn't seem to cause him pain any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has he had the lump?

2- How big is it?

3- Is it bothering him?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have only just noticed it today but it's quite large prob the size of a ping pong ball and no it's not bothering him at all he has let me hold him and touch it he isn't limping and jumping quite active and normal

1- Do you feel comfortable in saying that this came on in the last day or so?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's the first time I have really noticed it but now I have I can see it from a distance I haven't seen it before so yea most likely he's 7 years old and very much an outdoor cat roaming fields where we live and exploring outside he has just jumped a hedge so isn't causing him pain that I can tell

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Friend, if the lump you are seeing came about in the last few days this is very likely inflammation. Possible causes are: An abscess (infection), cyst, hematoma, soft tissue swelling, etc. But, if it has been there for a long time and you just recently noticed this could be a tumor, which then the question is: Is it a malignant or benign type mass? Unfortunately, on history or physical exam alone we can not determine the exact type of lump, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results if this is a mass. But, if it is an abscess then your vet will drain it and start him on antibiotics. So, treatment will depend on the exact underlying type of lump.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.