Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat fell out of my bedroom window. Which is on the third

My cat fell out of my bedroom window. Which is on the third floor. He has lost a tooth and got a cut upper lip. He is also limping. Is there anything I should do. He's feeling very sorry for himself
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this happen?

Any change to his breathing? Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Did the tooth fall out whole or seem to break?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yesterday at about 3 in the morning.
His breathing rate is 36 and his gums are pink .His tooth has broken
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

First, Frankie am very glad to hear that his breathing is only slightly elevated and that his gums are normal. That suggests he has some discomfort but hasn't suffered any bleeding into the lungs or damage to his diaphragm from the fall. Though with his limp, we'd of course assume this is likely the pain source but hopefully is just a strain/sprain as opposed to hairline fracture (unless he is very lame, then a fracture would be more of a worry). That said, its a shame to hear that the tooth has broken. Since it has done so, I do have to warn you that the root will need to be removed (else it can cause pain and be a nidus for infection). It isn't an emergency but we'd need to have him seen by his local vet for this to avoid those complications. And I'd note that at the same time, they can check Frankie's leg to ensure it is just a strain and most importantly dispense a cat safe pain relief (since OTC human ones are cat toxic) like Metacam to get him comfortable after this worrying fall.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much for the advice. It is only the tip of his tooth that has broken off.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If it is, hopefully the tip is the same color as the rest of the tooth. If it is, then it can be thankfully left. But if you can see a different colored middle region (the exposed pulp cavity), then it will need to be removed as that can again be an infection risk (and can be quite sore if the nerve is also exposed).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.